Google Sheets has a limit of 2 million cells inside a single spreadsheet. Hence, you cannot directly import a large CSV file into Google Sheets. We recommend you split your large CSV file into smaller chunks.
To split a large CSV file into smaller sheets, create multiple connections that each only import a limited amount of rows of the respective CSV file. Follow these steps:
- Create a new import connection
- Select the Connect connection type
- Search and select your CSV file. Note, it must be inside your Google Drive.
- While going through the settings of your connection, enable filter and choose query
- For the query statement, enter the following to (for example) only import the first 1000 rows: SELECT * LIMIT 1000
- Click on connect to create your connection
Now, repeat this process for as many connections as you need to split your CSV file. You might want to change 1000 to the number of rows you wish to import. Note, on the second connection you have to query using the following statement:
SELECT * LIMIT 1000 OFFSET 1000
This will import the next 1000 rows skipping the first 1000 rows which had already been imported by the first connection.
Analogous, the third connection needs the following statement to skip the first 2000 rows:
SELECT * LIMIT 1000 OFFSET 2000
Click on the lens icon and search for your CSV file
Select the filter from the settings
Click on Connect to create your connection
Proceed with your other connections with an adapted query statement